These awards are presented during the British Association for Canadian Studies (BACS) Annual Conference in April each year:
Michael J. Hellyer Prize
Open to post-docs, early career academics and professionals (within 5 years of the award of a Ph.D.) and independent scholars (also within 5 years of being awarded a Ph.D.).
Vivien Hughes Prize
Open to Ph.D. students (including MPhil and equivalent students).
Jodie Robson Prize
Open to Masters and undergraduate students
Details of Prizes
1) Each prize will be awarded for the best paper delivered at the annual BACS conference in the relevant category. The paper will be judged on its written version rather than on its actual presentation at the conference. The paper submitted can either be the one delivered at the conference (if fully referenced) or an article-length paper upon which the conference presentation is based.
2) Each prize will consist of a cheque for £100 or the equivalent in Canadian dollars. As noted above, the prize winners will be announced at the annual BACS conference each April. In the event of papers of equal merit being submitted in the same category it may be possible to award more than one prize in that category.
3) Papers to be considered for one of the prizes must be sent to the BACS Secretary, Dr. Jatinder Mann, email@example.com by 1 April of the relevant year.
The BACS Council wishes to acknowledge the generous funding received from the Canada-UK Foundation for the Vivien Hughes and Jodie Robson prizes.
Prix de la Délégation générale du Québec à Londres
The Prix de la Délégation générale du Québec à Londres consists of two awards of £1,000 (each) generously offered for a number of years by the Government of Québec and administered by BACS. It is designed to assist researchers who are permanent UK residents to carry out research projects related to Québec by facilitating a research visit to Québec. Projects that incorporate Québec in a comparative approach (at least 50% of the focus must be on Québec) are also eligible. The projects submitted should ideally have a contemporary resonance. All applications are welcome, including those from applicants unsuccessful in recent previous competitions.
The details of the two awards are as follows:
– The first award will be aimed at researchers and academic staff (including postdoctoral researchers).
– The second award will be aimed at students, including doctoral and masters students and BA or BSc students in their final year of studies.
These are travel awards and thus are not intended to be used to cover tuition fees or similar expenses. Applicants are expected to be members of BACS (they may join at time of application) but need not have an institutional affiliation.
As with the BACS awards, The Prix de la Délégation générale du Québec à Londres are presented during the BACS Annual Conference in April each year. It is expected that the award will be acknowledged in any subsequent publication(s).
Applicants should provide a brief outline of their proposed research (including methodology, contextual background, plan and outcomes). Successful applications will have the following characteristics:
(i) investigate issues concerning Quebec (includes comparative research where the focus on Quebec is at least 50%);
(ii) constitute an excellent research proposal (originality, coherence of arguments and methodology);
(iii) display applicant’s abilities to deliver research (previous relevant background, experience, publications, etc);
(iv) is of value to potential users outside or within the research community.
A brief (one-page) CV should be included.
Deadline: 1 April each year.
Maximum Length: 1000 words.
A letter of recommendation, on headed paper, from an appropriate referee is also required and should be sent directly to the BACS Secretary, Dr. Jatinder Mann (e-mail address below). Referees should address the merits of the proposal and the ability of the applicant to successfully carry out the research. The referee’s letter may be sent by email as an attachment.
Applications should be sent by email to the BACS Secretary, Dr. Jatinder Mann at firstname.lastname@example.org by 1 April of the relevant year.